Re: OT: USB 3G modems

I've probably missed something but if the PC is off, how is the usb
stick powered and able to receive?

You could still use a stick (in theory) but might need one of these
(<http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-Products/GSM-Auto-Controls-Anything-Fr=
om-Anywhere-with-your-Phone.html>)
to turn the PC on/off.

HTH,

Tim.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Jon Wilkins <jonpdwilkins@xxxxxxx>
wrote=
:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm needing to build an unattended linux box to do some occasional
remote
> equipment monitoring. =A0It will be in locations where there isn't
intern=
et or
> fixed line but will be GSM and/or 3G. =A0Because it'll be occasional
use =
> don't want it to be online all the time (waste of on-line cost &
power), =
so
> want to be able to 'activate' it when needed -- ideally by being able
> send it a text or dial in to it =A0to tell it to open it's 3G ( &
open an=
IP
> tunnel to 'home').
>
> Does anyone know if the 3G 'sticks' that the networks are currently
offer=
ing