RE: OT: USB 3G modems

You could use any USB based GSM modem to do this. The issue you have
is how
you send and receive commands to it.

Even if you get it to dial up by sending an SMS to it, it will not appear
visible on the internet because of NAT and private IP's within the GSM
network. What you are going t have to do is get it to dial up and make a
TCP
connection to some application running at your intended monitoring site.
This way you now have a connection that you can send and receive data
through, but only via the 2 applications.

An alternative idea, which I am not sure will work, is to get the remote PC
to make a VPN connection to your monitoring site. This way I think you
would
then be part of your network and it should be visible both ways. I have not
tried this before so I am not sure if this will work.

Someone else pointed out that your could leave it connected as you only pay
for data, but sadly the PC does a lot of IP traffic and you would see a
nice
bill each month unless you where on a fixed price unlimited package.

Either way, you're going to need an application to listen for the SMS and
make the connection. Not sure if there is anything off the shelf so you may
need to roll your own!

If you could borrow a GSM modem for testing, you could try the VPN idea and
see if that works.

Good luck with it.

Dave.