RE: Re: Building a RAID enclosure - Problem sourcing a part

Hi

I took the liberty to knock up a small design on a PCB for this with a
little thought for some other uses.

There is a 3D view of the PCB here:

http://www.embeddedcomputer.co.uk/ATXadapter.jpg

and a PDF of the schematic here:

http://www.embeddedcomputer.co.uk/ATXadapter.pdf

and if you would like a 3D step model of the PCB, there is one here but
this
is 5.5MB in size.

http://www.embeddedcomputer.co.uk/ATXadapter.step

I have included a small Atmel microcontroller on this board but this can be
left off if you don't need the features is provides. If this is fitted, the
software within detects the switch closure for power on and off and
controls
the POWER ON to the power supply. As per normal PC's this will switch off
the power supply if you hold the switch for approx 10 seconds.

You can use a fixed switch instead and leave the Micro off the board and
link LK1. This will then apply the LOW need for the power supply. Switching
it off will switch the power supply off immediately. With the micro
installed, accidental pushing will not power of the power supply.

I also added a standard 2.1mm power outlet that provides the +5V output.
Might be useful to power other devices.

If you are interested in this design, I can off you the design files and
the
code for the Micro but this would only be for non-commercial use. Any
commercial use will require you to contact me first.

Regards

Dave.

PS.. One thing I have not been able to ascertain is that the power supply
will be stable with no load on the +3.3V supply lines. I have not taken
into
account for this as I was assuming the need was to use the +5V and +12V to
power such things are HDD etc.