Re: Building a RAID enclosure - Problem sourcing a part

  • Subject: Re: Building a RAID enclosure - Problem sourcing a part
  • From: "noughtomate" <balraj_jassal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:06:36 -0000

Thanks for the PM's and response.

The board I've seen in my existing RAID enclosure is even smaller than the
one given in the Ebay links.

It's tiny... Literally it only supports a 20/24 pin ATX power connector, 1
x Molex connector for power and 1 for LED.

The one's shown on the Ebay links seem to support Processors and may be a
PCI slot. The type I'm seeking doesn't even need this.

Wish I knew the name for one of these!!!

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Andy Davies <dajdavies@...> wrote:

> I think you're after an embedded motherboard you can get them in all
sorts
> of sizes e.g. 3.5", 5.25" - Kontron, Commell, Advantech,
ibase are some of
> the manufacturers that spring to mind.
>
> The boards generally aren't cheap but they do turn up on ebay from
time to
> time e.g http://bit.ly/L4yEM http://bit.ly/UvbWL
>
> Not sure how many have PCI Express slots
>
> Andy
>
> 2009/9/14 noughtomate <balraj_jassal@...>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Okay... A difficult one to describe this!
> >
> > Following that excellent link from last from on how to build your
own RAID
> > enclosure (http://tinyurl.com/mwcsl8), I've
decided to try building my
> > own.
> >
> > I already own a HTPC look RAID enclosure by Silverstone (DS351)
but I want
> > to make a simple 5 disk 1u rack mount enclosure.
> >
> > Sourcing the RAID and powersupply would be no problem, however
I'm having
> > trouble knowing what to describe the equivalent of the
motherboard :  This
> > would not be a traditional motherboard as we know it, but a
simple (and very
> > small) board which simply allows PSU connectivity, a single Molex
connector
> > for HDD power and a Power LED indicator. THe one on my
Silverstone DS351 is