Re: My HA website

  • Subject: Re: My HA website
  • From: "kw1816" <kw1816@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 09:40:07 -0000

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the kind words :-)

Learnings ?
Plan, Plan and then think about it again.
Future proof as much as possible.e.g. Leave pull ropes in cabling spaces
just in case you need to run more cables. Which you will !
Run far more cables than you think you'll need. I did this and still ended
up using those ropes to pull more.

Best buys
Comfort
Russound CAV6.6
Geovision

Worst buys:
Cheap 'ish' CCTV cameras. Changed to Vantage cameras and there's a world of
difference.

Things I would do differently:
I'm not sure I would use Mainlobby again. Now that Homeseer has a
touchscreen plugin (HStouch) I'd probably have gone with that. Mainlobby is
great looking but can be a pig to build, can be flaky and needs a full PC
to run on as a host. HSTouch can be run on CE etc which gives more choice
on host devices.
ML is now expensive as well, I've been using it since the 1st version and
so the current versions have been bought as 'upgrades'. Looking at the
prices now it would cost me over $600 :-0
The support can be a bit hit and miss as well.

Things I'd like to change:
Airpanels. Mine are getting a bit long in the tooth and the battery life
isn't great. No replacements available. They're also limited by RDP so live
video doesn' really work, connections drop etc.

No manual I'm afraid, although I do have a folder with scribbled notes,
strange wiring diagrams and post it notes - does that count ?

Cheers
Kevin

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@...> wrote:

> Kevin,
>

> WOW! Very impressive...
>

> You have really achieved what looks like a very functional approach to
> HA...
>

> Having had a similar opportunity to you, a new build, I am impressed
at
> how you have integrated everything and how complete the system
appears.
> This may seem easy to some but it is the hardest part of Home
> Automation!
>

> Also impressive is that you have gone with what I feel are very good
> building blocks. I am a fan of Homeseer too, although I have not
played
> with Mainlobby... Comfort is also, in my opinion a very good choice.
>

> You also seem to have cracked the Human Interface with the touch
screens
> and IR control...
>

> As I say I am impressed with the integration and functionality...
>

> I wonder what your learnings were on the way, and the obvious question
> what would you have done differently?
>

> I also wonder if you have written a manual???
>

> You should be proud of a very fine example of what can be done.
>

> Nigel

know what you think. I'm open to