Re: 67 terabyte 4U servers for $7,867

  • Subject: Re: 67 terabyte 4U servers for $7,867
  • From: "mwgardner2000" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 08:47:15 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Dean Barrett" <dean@...>
wrote:
<snip>
> I know some people on here are running WHS to do the same job - do you
run
> other software on these boxes or just use them for storage.
>
> I would like to build a box that has 8tb in a Raid configuration but
have
> Slimserver, BluRay ripping facility all on one box - is this feasible
?

> If so has anyone any pointers to how to do it :)
</snip>

I'm a WHS virgin - my box (home build) is just 5 days old. So any
correction / comments welcome!

I've rebuilt a box that was previously running Windows 2003 SBS (which for
the purposes of running exchange I have now moved to a VM on a different
box). My main reason for rebuilding is that I wanted to consolidate a
variety of different size disks into a single large storage pool.

So far, all looks good. I now have a box with a 7TB storage pool - it took
quite a long time to build - most of the five days has been spent adding
the disks one at a time to the server. I started off with a single 500GB
disk onto which I installed WHS - it creates a 20GB system disk partition,
and puts the rest into the storage pool. I then added each of the remaining
7 disks (a mix of 500GB, 1TB and 2TB disks) one at a time. When first added
the new disk is not part of the storage pool, which allows you to copy
existing data from the disk into the storage pool, before then adding the
new disk itself into the storage pool.

WHS is not a RAID 5 / 6 replacement. WHS does allow you to define
'duplication' for specific shares, which means that the files therein are
copied to a second disk. I prefer to backup key files that I do not want to
lose onto a separate box in a separate location.

I do want to add more apps onto the box - basically WHS is a cut down
version of Windows 2003 SBS. I've read that you can install apps onto WHS,
but I'm still researching it - I too would be pleased to learn of others
experiences.

I'm interested to learn what others do, as this is all new to me right now.
But so far, I'm pleased with the results.

Cheers
Mark