Re: OT-ish: New PC questions

Thanks for the advice. I never knew about the Intel-VT extension. I was
looking to buy a machine with a Q8300 processor and, apparently, some
Q8300s do the come with Intel-VT and some don't so I'll check which type
Dell sell.

Thanks again.
Dave

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@...>
wrote:

> [...]
Windows 7
> machines to 64 bit, is 64 bit a 'safe' way to go these days?
>
> I think so now. IME it seems most software vendors have finally woken
up &
> started supporting 64 bit pproperly. I've been running 64 bit
exclusively on
> my desktop machine for about the last year-18 months or so.
>

> 2) I'm looking at a quad core, is there any point in spending the
extra on
> one of the new core processors? (The most heavy duty applications that
I'll