Krone blocks, alarm cable, cat5, etc etc

  • Subject: Krone blocks, alarm cable, cat5, etc etc
  • From: "leewild80" <muddyboots@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:39:06 -0000

Hi all

I have a Comfort system, with inputs from a number of PIRs - all of which
share 12v and 0v connections.
Comfort itself only provides single 12v/0v connections, so currently I have
a not-very-ideal setup where the various PIR wires are twisted together
& shared across several ways in a 3-amp connector block, and in the
other side of the connector block I have daisy chained some wires across to
common them together.

It works but it's really not ideal, not only because it's messy as hell,
but screw connectors on stranded wires are not very reliable.

Have been wondering about a better solution for a while, like connector
strips with leaf contacts and insulated combs for commoning together.

But then I happened across another thread on here where people mention
using Krone blocks.

A bit of searching suggests a couple of Krone 237D blocks might be an ideal
and neat solution - they have a flying lead that I could connect to
Comfort's 12v and 0v, and all the terminals within the block are commoned
together. They even come in red and black :)

A few questions if I may:
1) Does this seem a sensible idea ?
2) I presume I can use the standard Krone-type punchdown tool that I bought
for wiring cat5 faceplates ?
3) Do the blocks work reliably with stranded 6-core alarm cable ?
4) Do the blocks work reliably with the solid cores of cat5e cable ?
5) And (dumb question) - "normal" (237A) Krone connectors - are
terminals on both sides of these linked across so they act just like a
connector block ?

Thanks for any help !

Lee