Virgin Media Picks TiVo

  • Subject: Virgin Media Picks TiVo
  • From: "paul_watkin" <paul.watkin33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:19:52 -0000

for those who haven't seen this already it looks Tivo may make a
return to these shores in some form - Only problem for me is Cable doesn't
extend into my road!!!

Taken from Light Reading Cable Digital News feed

ALVISO, Calif., and LONDON -- TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO - News), a leader in
the creation of television services and advertising solutions for digital
video recorders (DVRs), and Virgin Media Inc. (Nasdaq: VMED - News; LSE:
VMED - News), the UK's leading entertainment and communications company,
today announced they have entered into a strategic partnership under which
TiVo will develop Virgin Media's next generation TV platform. Under the
mutually exclusive agreement, TiVo will develop a converged television and
broadband interactive interface to power Virgin Media's next generation,
high definition set top boxes. The terms of the deal are not disclosed.

TiVo will become the exclusive provider of middleware and user interface
software for Virgin Media's next generation set top boxes. Virgin Media
will become the exclusive distributor of TiVo services and technology in
the United Kingdom.

Neil Berkett, CEO of Virgin Media said, "TiVo's proven track record of
innovation, strength of its patented technology and experience in
developing best in class user environments, make it an ideal strategic
partner for Virgin Media as we move aggressively to bring our next
generation TV service to market. The superiority of our fibre optic network
combined with TiVo's capabilities, will allow us to offer consumers the
most significantly advanced and compelling TV service available in the UK,
and we believe will do to the TV market what Virgin Media has done to the
high speed broadband market."