Re: Re: Local audio weather forecasts

Hi Noel,

Yes - no problem at all. I will tidy it up a bit this weekend then send it
off to you. I've been meaning to do that for ages...

To run the perl script you will need a perl distribution for (
http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/).
I use the perl script to generate a
couple of sentences, then as I use the mac I use the built-in speech synth
to turn it into a audio file I can play. If you are running on Windows,
then
you'll need a speech synth - I don't know whether it is easy to access the
one built in for accessibility.

Cheers
T.

2009/11/11 noel <noel@xxxxxxx>

> Thanks Tim, would you be willing to share your script?!
>
> I found a two minute hourly Sky news feed
> http://skyscape.sky.com/skynewsradio/RADIO/news.mp3
which worked great for
> me this morning, set a timer for two minutes in applescript and it
then
> moved to music.
>
> So just the weather that I've got to crack! :)
>
> Out of interest, how do you run the perl script? (I know nothing about
> Perl!)
>
> Thanks
>
> Noel
>

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>, Tim Ramsdale
> <tim@...> wrote:
> >
> > So - the solution I came up with was to parse the BBC RSS local
weather
> feed
> > with a perl script, and then 'translate' this into a weather
report which
> > use my mac to read out to me when I come downstairs. Since I know
the
> > 'translation' - e.g. 'very windy' means it is >15mph winds,
'brass
> monkeys'
> > means it froze to -5 overnight and the like, it actually works
quite well
> > (for me).
> >
> > There used to be a great 1min audio news stream available from
the BBC,
> but
> > the link stopped working a few months ago and I haven't found
where it
> went
> > (despite searching).
> >
> > T.
> >
> > 2009/11/10 noel <noel@...>
>

> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Does anyone know any online sources of short local weather
forecasts
> that
> > > can either be streamed or downloaded on a daily basis?
> > >
> > > I've got the beginnings of automated music/sound being
played when I
> get
> > > up, move around, in the shower etc and weather/news is
something I'd
> quite
> > > like to have first thing in the morning.
> > >
> > > Have googled but not finding a lot.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Noel
> > >

> > --