Re: Storage....Raid 5...or just get more backup drives?

  • Subject: Re: Storage....Raid 5...or just get more backup drives?
  • From: "noel" <noel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 10:07:02 -0000

Thanks Oliver, interesting about usb vs firewire, I didn't know about
the o=
verhead of USB.

Googling for the fantec doesn't seem to show much apart from the
manufactur=
ers site.  Price looks pretty good (on Amazon for =A3190 empty).  Around
th=
e =A3200 mark I'd be happy to buy an enclosure.  Much more than that and
it=
's getting a bit expensive for me especially as I plan to back it up
anyway=
s.

Any thoughts/advice anyone on the fantec or alternatives at reasonable
pric=
es?

Thanks

Noel

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Peer Oliver Schmidt <posde@...> wrote:

> Noel,
>=20
> a couple of thoughts:
>=20
> Re: USB Storage
> Using USB for permanent HDD connection is something I would shy
away=20
> from, as the USB connection is very taxing to the CPU. Especially
with=20
> the Mac Mini Firewire is a way better option
>=20
>=20
> Re: RAID 5
> RAID 5 is really just to safeguard you against loosing a single HDD=20
> without interrupting your work/play. You /should/ always do backups,
if=20
> those media files are worth anything to you.
>=20
> Re: In general
> An idea might be one of those external RAID5 boxes with 4 drive=20
> enclosures, like the FANTEC QB-35RFE, or something similar made by
other=
=20