Movie server / large scale file copy

  • Subject: Movie server / large scale file copy
  • From: "keyvan2r" <k1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 19:03:02 -0000

Hi all

I have built a large capacity media server running WHS. I am now going
through the painful process of transfering my music, DVD movies and BD
movies from my old 3.6 Tb Terastation Buffalo NAS.
Simple drag and drop copy of the folders from the NAS don't work well due
to the fact that when I leave the files to copy overnight I come back to
find that at some point the connection was dropped / interupted at some
point and the operation was terminated. No way of knowing what made it to
the server - not easily anyway.
My question: is there a smarter / more bullet-proof way of doing this?
Not sure why I loose connection between WHS box and NAS...
I have set them both on fixed IP addresses (in case there is a lease
renewal during the copy). But that seems not to have fixed it.
So far my best solution is using a free MS utility called SyncToy which
basically sets up a sync between two drives. At least this way when the
connection is lost, it can pick up where it broke and copy what did not
make it to destination - this might still be unreliable as it only looks at
files attrib's not content - so if a file is part copied (say a large 44GB
BD iso) it may think on resync that the file was copied and not repeat the
copy.

Thanks