Re: Set up & questions: WHS media server

  • Subject: Re: Set up & questions: WHS media server
  • From: "keyvan2r" <k1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 20:49:41 -0000

Thanks Paul.
I see what you mean about memory.
I stupidly ordered DDR2 ram for my MoBo and it uses DDR3.
To be fair I had ordered a different ASUS board - ASUS P5Q WS iP45 Socket
775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard - ebuyer then told me it was
discontinued (even though they showed stock) so I bought the P5Q3 instead
but forgot to change ram spec. Had to nick a 2Gb module from my i7 Vista
machine to get install started - 3.5 Tb of movies and BD takes a while to
copy over from the Terastation!!! So wanted to get that started ASAP.
I think  I will go with 4Gb anyway, to get dual advantage and have a bit
spare.
On the AHCI issue, I think I should leave it alone, seems more trouble than
its worth...?
You are right about the WHS age - it looks a lot like the old windows NT /
2000 installs. In fact on the asus board I think the ethernet driver
installed the win 2000 version..!

Thanks again - useful reply.

Best

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@...>
wrote:

> 1: - yes, a 32 bit OS, can see all memory up to 4GB, - BUT some of it
will
> be mapped out of user space for use by hardware devices / firmware
etc.
> Exactly how much you "lose" to this varies, and is dependant
on what
> hardware you've got & what BIOS settings you choose. I have one
instance
> where I ended up with 3.6GB visible to Windows after the
"loss" to
> hardware... - not too bad really, and the extra 600MB is certainly
> worthwhile - for me that represented at least 1 more, and potentially
2 more
> VM's that could be hosted on that machine that otherwise I wouldn't
have
> been able to accommodate with only 3GB fitted..
>
> Another consideration is if your mobo supports dual-channel memory
(aka
> memory interleaving), this will only work if you have two identical
size
> DIMMS fitted, so If you spec for 3GB, I guess you're going to have a
2GB & a
> 1GB module fitted, and thus you won't be able to run it dual channel,
and
> this supposedly affects raw memory performance.
>
> 2: - In my experience, I've never observed any particular benefit to
using
> AHCI mode, but to be fair, I've never benchmarked it either. As you
> observed, it *can* cause problems with Windows installs, depending on
the
> version of windows. - WHS is based on the original server 2003 product
which
> is quite old now! - you *should* be able to utilise it if you do the
"Press
> F6 to install additional storage drivers" option during the early
text mode
> part of the install. Your mobo vendor should provide a driver that you
can
> then load to enable the AHCI controller support in WHS - or at least a
means
> to acquire such a driver. The fun part comes when you try to load it,
> because Windows 2003 ONLY supports using a floppy disk (remember
those?) to
> load the driver at the appropriate point in the build - no luxury of
using a
> USB stick here! If this all sounds like too much hassle, - or if you
try it
> & the driver support is "flaky" then just stick with
legacy IDE mode on the
> disk controller...
>
> HTH
>
> Paul G.