RE: Set up & questions: WHS media server

1: - yes, a 32 bit OS, can see all memory up to 4GB, - BUT some of it
will
be mapped out of user space for use by hardware devices / firmware etc.
Exactly how much you "lose" to this varies, and is dependant on
what
hardware you've got & what BIOS settings you choose. I have one
instance
where I ended up with 3.6GB visible to Windows after the "loss"
hardware... - not too bad really, and the extra 600MB is certainly
worthwhile - for me that represented at least 1 more, and potentially 2
more
VM's that could be hosted on that machine that otherwise I wouldn't have
been able to accommodate with only 3GB fitted..

Another consideration is if your mobo supports dual-channel memory (aka
memory interleaving), this will only work if you have two identical size
DIMMS fitted, so If you spec for 3GB, I guess you're going to have a 2GB
& a
1GB module fitted, and thus you won't be able to run it dual channel, and
this supposedly affects raw memory performance.

2: - In my experience, I've never observed any particular benefit to using
AHCI mode, but to be fair, I've never benchmarked it either. As you
observed, it *can* cause problems with Windows installs, depending on the
version of windows. - WHS is based on the original server 2003 product
which
is quite old now! - you *should* be able to utilise it if you do the
"Press
F6 to install additional storage drivers" option during the early text
mode
part of the install. Your mobo vendor should provide a driver that you can
then load to enable the AHCI controller support in WHS - or at least a
means
to acquire such a driver. The fun part comes when you try to load it,
because Windows 2003 ONLY supports using a floppy disk (remember those?) to
load the driver at the appropriate point in the build - no luxury of using
USB stick here! If this all sounds like too much hassle, - or if you try it
& the driver support is "flaky" then just stick with legacy
IDE mode on the
disk controller...

HTH

Paul G.