RE: LED door lock status

Hi Craig,

The locks are all standard Euro types with a knob or key operated barrel
that slides the lock tongue into a plate on the door frame (ie they are
not the Yale type).  I used a standard micro switch mounted on to an
adjustable metal plate and fitted inside the plate on the door frame,
when the lock tongue operates it works the switch. The two LEDs are also
in the frame, mounted on a small alloy panel - red is 'door open', green
is 'locked'

I've run CAT 5 to the door, machined a groove into the frame to feed the
wires to the lock, then inserted a strip of wood to conceal the groove.
I run 12v to the switch from a central PSU, then there's one wire for
each of the status lights and one earth.  At the moment the status wires
are not connected to anything (which is where we came in!)

I have to say that this is one of the simplest and most useful things
I've fitted - the euro locks mean that the doors don't lock
automatically when closed, so without the lights I would have to walk to
each door to check that it was locked.  If I could see them all from one
place, that would be even better.

Martin

Grizelli Associates Limited
IT Project Consultants