RE: Touchscreen controller early prototype

Frank - Quicktime should play MP4's or the very latest version of
Windows M=
edia Player (on Windows 7 but not sure about Vista/XP etc)

Paul.

Something
> around
> > 7"
> > * 4" would be more appropriate - I was thinking of something
that
> could be
> > mounted next to a light switch and not look too monstrous.
> >
> > So in the spirit of UKHA I set about a homebrew solution.
> >
> > I already make extensive use of HomeEasy RF equipment with the
> excellent
> > RFXCom units and XPLRFX and have a glut of the HE300 remote
control
> units
> > going to waste, so a quick bit of butchering later and some
> rudimentary
> > testing with a multimeter and I saw that it would be fairly easy
> > manipulate the inputs of one of these to give up to 34 usable XPL
> messages
> > (the HE300 has 16 "switch" on/off commands and a
"group" on/off).

> > I recently modified an Asus EEE PC with a cheap 7"
touchscreen
> overlay
> > from
> > Hong Kong (about =A320) and had a spare overlay in the parts bin
too
> and
> > mimicking the idea of the Marmitek, I wanted to be able to print
out
> > sheet
> > of buttons, controls, etc and have the touchscreen on top.
> >
> > Having a small amount of experience in microcontrollers like
arduinos
> and
> > PICs I knew that it would be pretty easy to control the HE300
side of
> > things
> > with some digital outputs via opto-isolators and suspected that
an
> > appropriate microcontroller should also be able to interface
directly
> > the
> > 4-wire resistive touchscreen as well (bypassing the USB
controller
> that
> > came
> > with it).
> >
> > After some considerable googling, some rubbish soldering and
using
> far too
> > many jump-wires, I have a prototype up and running!  At the
moment
> the
> > code
> > on the arduino simply listens for a "touch" in one half
of the screen
> > send an "on" command for one of the HomeEasy switch
addresses and a
> touch
> > in
> > the other half of the screen to send an "off" command
for the same
> > address.
> > Eventually I'll divide the touch area up into zones for each of
the
> 34
> > possible combinations.
> >
> > The next prototype will hopefully be mounted in something photo
frame
> > styled
> > and will move to breadboard & soldered components to reduce
the size
> of
> > the
> > electronics.
> >
> > I've uploaded a rather poor mobile phone video at
> > http://www.aceshigh.net/touchcontroller.mp4
for anybody that wants to