Re:

Here's a lower cost solution that works over your network.

You could feed all the inputs into a xAP Netiom  and then use it's built
in web server to display your information.  You can also upload custom
graphics to the Netiom and it can even send you emails eg when your
washing machine leaks.   Or you could use a PC based display application
like xAP Floorplan - which is a web based realtime (Ajax) display
system.  Although it's named 'Floorplan' it can actually be used to
display any graphic layout.

The xAP Netiom has 16 inputs available (+16 outputs, a serial port, high
and low latches, counters,  4 analog inputs plus an Ethernet port with
inbuilt webserver and email).   xAP Floorplan is free and a Netiom £69
+ VAT

http://www.phaedrusltd.com/pages/html/netiom-xap.html

http://www.mi4.biz/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=37

There are even lower cost solutions eg by feeding the inputs into a
parallel port on a PC.

Martin Howell wrote:
> Hmmm, hadn't thought of that approach. I have a spare Ameo pocket PC
> (though you'd need a big pocket for it) which has a touch screen,
built
> in wi-fi and Windows Mobile, so I was planning to fit that to the wall
> and use it as the user interface. If I run the software that checks
the
> status indicators on my server, I can dish up the results as a web
page
> that the Ameo can read and display. Has the big advantage of using
bits
> I already have, so no real cost.
>
> Cheers
> Martin