Re: X10, Cbus, ZWave, Idratek, BBSB?

  • Subject: Re: X10, Cbus, ZWave, Idratek, BBSB?
  • From: "dreamgreenhouse_com" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 19:18:30 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "joelr86" <jo@...> wrote:

> Hi All,
> Probably a fairly generic message coming up, but I've found it decent
to find any decent comparisons of the above.

> My current automation is based upon a couple of 9212 IP powers: http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Reviews/Aviosys-IP-Power-9212-Review.html
which I had just been using for logging of door entries & PIRs sensors,
as well as turning on various lights...

> I'd like to start getting into some proper lighting, and other
appliance automation and the 9212 isn't really designed for this.

> I've been pointed at BBSB for their ease of use, and interesting
online controller, although their lack of hobby type interfaces also it
doesn't seem to have many options for inputs either..

> I've also got an alarm box, and PIRs/Door relays round this house
which isn't being used, and it may be nice to at least be logging the PIR
data, or replace it completely with a new ethernet/x10/etc enabled control
panel.

I don't think you can do all what you want with one technology and I would
choose a route that allows flexibility. Our home control system uses a
number of different technologies and I can add new ones and swap out old
ones when ever I like. I've achieved this by abstracting the hardware
within Java wrappers and writing a controller for each technology used
(Dallas 1-Wire, X10, Ethernet IO, etc.).

This results in a real-time, event driven, multiprocess home control system
that is totally extensible and configurable. I personally wouldn't be happy
with wireless or powerline technology for some of the critical safety
systems.