Re: X10, Cbus, ZWave, Idratek, BBSB?

  • Subject: Re: X10, Cbus, ZWave, Idratek, BBSB?
  • From: "Paul" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:09:20 -0000

Hi Joel,

I use Idratek and have never experienced another HA system so my comments
m=
ay not be balanced.

Idratek can meet all your requirements and more. The reason I went with
the=
system is as follows:
- Modules are relatively cheap in comparison to other HA systems
- Reflex is the name for a fallback system. Normally Idratek runs from an
a=
pplication on a PC called Cortex, however if for any reason Cortex or the
P=
C fail all modules can fallback to their Reflex programming. Another
exampl=
e would be on power returning from a power-cut, the modules will work
strai=
ght away whilst the PC is still starting up. Reflex can be as simple or
com=
plex as you want and still allows inter-module communication. Difficult to
=
explain this feature but it is a huge selling point
- Cabling requirements are unfussy and topology can be mixed. I use Cat5
ca=
ble but it'll work over alarm cable.

Since my original research into which system to go with and then plumbing
f=
or Idratek I'll add the following benefits:
- Support is first class, the guys respond very quickly with detailed
infor=
mation (usually within hours but definitely within a day). They never give
=
up and see the problem through to the end.
- Growing user community. If you have a look at the UKHA forum pages under
=
www.automatedhome.co.uk then you'll see a healthy forum community
- Constantly updated and improved, many additions as a direct result of
use=
r feedback. Cortex is now at revision 24 and gets updated regularly for
min=
or bugs or improvements. Major revisions occurr yearly or bi-yearly.
- XAP support. Cortex has supported xPL for sometime but now supports xAP,
=
these protocols are more open-source and allow integration of different
sys=
tems.

The list continues to grow I haven't mentioned the concept of presence
wher=
e modules in different rooms work together. A whole HVAC system that
allows=
heating profiles and reacts to inputs such as presence. Voice commands and=
audio feedback. etc, etc

HTH

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "joelr86" <jo@...> wrote:

> Hi All,
> Probably a fairly generic message coming up, but I've found it decent
to =
find any decent comparisons of the above.
>=20
> My current automation is based upon a couple of 9212 IP powers: http://ww=
w.automatedhome.co.uk/Reviews/Aviosys-IP-Power-9212-Review.html which I
had=
just been using for logging of door entries & PIRs sensors, as well as
tur=
ning on various lights...=20
>=20
> I'd like to start getting into some proper lighting, and other
appliance =
automation and the 9212 isn't really designed for this.
>=20
> I've been pointed at BBSB for their ease of use, and interesting
online c=
ontroller, although their lack of hobby type interfaces also it doesn't
see=
m to have many options for inputs either..
>=20
> I've also got an alarm box, and PIRs/Door relays round this house
which i=
sn't being used, and it may be nice to at least be logging the PIR data,
or=
replace it completely with a new ethernet/x10/etc enabled control panel.
>=20
>=20
> To run down what I'd like:
>=20
> =E2=80=A2 A control panel of sorts, whether this is a BBSB style box,
or =
a some software running on a server is fine.
>=20
> =E2=80=A2 Integration with lighting/appliances.
>=20
> =E2=80=A2 Integration with old alarm wiring, PIRs, door relays etc.
>=20
> =E2=80=A2 Integration with external scripts so I can send On/Off, or
Stat=
us commands to devices from my own scripts.
>=20
> I think I'm veering towards X10 now, just because of the range of
devices=
available, but basically just asking for any suggestions &
recommendations=
what would be most ideal for requirements.