Re: Mac mini - two monitors different resolutions?!

  • Subject: Re: Mac mini - two monitors different resolutions?!
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 16:50:52 -0000

Sorry to bring this up again, I now have further information which may
be useful to some and also has me further confused on how to achieve what I
want!!

The mac mini can output to two displays with different resolutions ONLY in
extended mode as a few of the posters advised.

In mirrored mode both displays will go down to the lowest resolution.

So....a challenge, to refresh I'm looking to put a mac mini to run plex to
serve a lounge projector and a bedroom lcd tv.  Bedroom tv will obviously
be higher res as i'm running an Epson TW10H as my projector.

So first problem:  to watch things separately, plex is going to start up on
the primary display.  When I want to watch on the bedroom tv the secondary
display i'm going to have to somehow move the plex window to the other
display, Is there any remote control command that would make plex do this
itself? i.e. a move to secondary display IR command?!  That would kind of
solve this problem.

Second issue, whilst likely to be on rare occasions the occasion could
arise where i'd like to watch the same thing playing downstairs on the
upstairs tv, obviously this would make the lcd panel run at a pretty low
res, for playing a movie how much of an issue would this be?

As an additional thought, could I run two instances of plex at the same
time one on each display to allow different things to be played upstairs
from downstairs?

Thanks all in advance, understand that some of these questions might be
better for the plex forums but maybe someone can assist?!

Cheers all

Noel

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Jim Noble <yahoo-groups@...> wrote:

> Put it in mirrored mode at the higher of the two resolutions and let
> the smaller display deal with downscaling? (Assuming you want a
> standard res eg. 1080p or something...)
>
> Jim
>

> On 7 May 2009, at 16:23, Paul Gale wrote:
>
> > ...but mirrored or in extended mode?
> >
> > Paul.

Apple

wrote:

> [...]
hopefully
> >> can advise.

> >> bedroom).

> >> know that part is possible.

> >> different resolutions.  I've been googling around but havent
yet seen
> >> anything that confirms if this is possible.

> >> can't confirm if it works!

simultaneously. Any