Re: MythTV DVB-S

Yep I have built both a DVB-S and a DVB-T box using MythBuntu 8.10 both
get=
their schedules via the EIT i.e. EPG being transmitted, they were built co=
mpletely independent of each other i.e. both Master and not used for
Fronte=
nd duties, as we use notebooks, netbooks or AppleTV's for that.

The issue you will have is making sure you get the RIGHT cards as not all
c=
ards are supported and even chipsets can change on the same model numbers
;=
-)

Hence all of the pictures on the MythTV resource sites showing card
details=
.  I bought a pair of TECHNISAT SKYSTAR 2 PCI TV CARD which work fine but
o=
nly have one receiver per card.

BBC HD will needs a LOT of processing power to playback / decode without
ji=
tters and pausing etc..

The two DVB-T cards are both Hauppauge Nova 500-T cards which are actually
=
USB devices mounted on a board with a USB hub on card so to speak.  These
a=
gain were hard to track down the correct ones but MythTV is always being
im=
proved and adding support for other cards.

It really is worthwhile making sure you have a good Freeview signal as
that=
would be my preference since there is little extra via DVB-S except the HD=
content.

You can do some amazing stuff with them i.e. stream via MythWeb to hosts
ru=
nning VLC but there are some gotcha's, when streaming Channel Four does
not=
have sound.  Took a while to figure that one out ;-)

Goes without saying you will need vast amounts of space too, but 1.5Tb
HD's=
are =A3100 a pop if you look around !

I used this guide for the DVB-S setup and there is another one on the same
=
site for the DVB-T as well.

http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_freesat.php

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Alex" <ha@...> wrote:

> Anyone built a MythTV box with DVB-S cards?
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> I'm looking at building a dual satellite box with room to grow,
however,
> most of the FAQ's seem to relate to "normal" capture cards.
The DVB-S car=
ds
> seem to suggest that they capture directly as an MPEG stream which
would
> suggest lower CPU power is required, however the FAQ's seem to suggest
bi=
> CPU's are required for HD. I don't want to build a big box to have the
CP=
> idle but will also want to have 2-4 satellite cards and potentially a
> freeview card.
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> Any suggestions / hints / sites to view welcome.
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> Anyone found a good source of "Wife friendly" PC cases as
this will live =
in
> the living room.
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> Suggestions for a Linux compatible VGA card with both HDMI and
Component