Re: Windows Home Server

  • Subject: Re: Windows Home Server
  • From: "Helen George" <ukha_d@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 08:58:29 -0000

If you are considering WHS and want email then maybe take a look at
this

http://wiki.contribs.org/

It's a ready rolled linux install that probably has all the guff you could
possibly want, i.e. email, raid, data shares, security groups, ftp, sftp,
secure webmail, dyndns type clients, makes the tea, etc.

I can cope with it as its all web controlled. The installation is painless
and assumes you are an idiot/don't care so doesn't offer too many choices.

The documentation is ok and no worse/vague than any Microsoft docs.

I have had been using it for about 6 years and realy can't find a good
reason for using anything else. I am looking at upgrading the little Dell
box that it currently runs on to one of the tranquil barebones jobbies that
looks very nice and has a few more disk slots.

Peter.