Replacing a Pronto....

  • Subject: Replacing a Pronto....
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 20:46:32 -0000

Once upon a time, I bought a Pronto. The Pronto and I lived very
happily for many, many years. Then it broke.

What should I get to replace it?

At the simplest, I want something that controls a whole bunch of devices
with a single remote... [1]

... but ideally lets me set up a button called, say, DVD, which will turn
on several of them, and set them to the right inputs... and then flip
automatically to a DVD control screen... [2]

[Up to here, the original Pronto did exactly what I wanted, until it broke]

... and, in a perfect world, would let me configure it from a bit of
software that ran on a Mac (though a Windows PC would be OK, because I do
have one that the kids use...) [3]

[OK, if you allow Windows, then the Pronto did this as well]

... oh, and in a really, really, completely, paradisical world, would let
me control a couple of RF devices (ByeBye Standby). [4]

[It's possible the RF range of Prontos would have done this, honestly no
idea.]

... and, ho, ho, ho, we're just on a flight of fantasy now, would also have
the control features of the little Apple remote to control a Mac Mini used
as a Media centre [5]

Does this beast exist?

Ideally in a way that takes less than a lifetime to set up....

Mark