Re: Going Virtual - A Home Server Experience

(resending as it didn't seem to make it to the list)

I got one of the HP ML115 G5 Opterons, I think they've been on various
offers for the last 5 months or so.  Currently 199 at serversplus dot com.

8GB of RAM from Crucial is about 80.

The server comes with a 250GB hard drive but I've got some 10,000rpm
Western
Digital Raptors left over from another project to put in it and I've
borrowed a couple of gigabit Intel network cards from work.

Hopefully it should make a reasonable ESXi platform - there's a good blog
at
techhead dot co dot uk with plenty of information.  I like the idea of a
"bare metal" VM server as you've then not got the underlying OS
to worry
about.

I think that I may actually end up with more virtual servers than I had
physical servers because it's an ideal opportunity to consolidate stuff a
bit (currently thinking of having separate xAP and xPL virtual machines as
at the moment stuff is spread out all over the place).

I'm aiming to go from 6 * 24/7 machines to 2 hopefully!  One will be the
ESXi machine running probably 4 VMs continually with another 3 or 4 on
demand and the other will probably end up running anything that I can't
"virtualise" i.e. stuff that needs dedicated hardware.

Martyn