Limited broadband allowance - how to enforce in the house during the day

  • Subject: Limited broadband allowance - how to enforce in the house during the day
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 07:44:52 -0000

Morning all,

I'm using AAISP for my home broadband on their 3gb package (3gb download
between 9am and 6pm I think it is then unlimited downloads off peak)

We keep exceeding our limit either accidentally (me leaving a download
running) or by my housemate using it excessively in the daytime when he
shouldn't.

So....How can I stop it?  Ideally want a way to limit the total amount
downloadable during those hours, guessing this is going to involve a router
change but if it could be done by software that would run on a mac I could
always use the proposed mac mini purchase to act as a gateway of some sort
with all access going through it.

Would also ideally like an override so if I need/want to do something and
the limits been hit I can bypass.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Noel