From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Martyn
Wendon
Sent: 30 April 2009 19:54
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Virtualisation

Having just replaced my main desktop pc (P4 3.8 of 4 years vintage) and
21"
CRT monitors with a modern decent laptop and a couple of LCD screens, I was
surprised at just how much my electricity usage has dropped (from baseline
of 2.2KWh to 1.7KWh)!

So now I'm on an electricity economy drive and figure that the next thing
look at is potentially virtualising some or all of the various servers
here.

Currently I'm running:

Shadow IDS (3 nics)
Trixbox PBX (no extra hardware as all phones are IP)
Windows SBS / Exchange / DC / etc (2 nics)
Zoneminder (16 ch capture card)
HA server (loads of serial ports on pci cards)
Media server (bluetooth dongle, tv capture cards)

All on separate machines, mainly P4s of 3-4 years vintage.

I know that some of you have followed a similar route so I'm seeking advice
/ ideas / gotchas and general information / success (!) stories, especially
in how to make hardware such as capture cards available to a virtual
machine?

Cheers,

Martyn