Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Pronto Codes for NAD T785 Amplifier

Re: New Current Cost Unit on sale...

  • Subject: Re: New Current Cost Unit on sale...
  • From: Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:36:55 +0100

In article <9C9DE5D9-9E4F-4AEB-8BF6-6A36EFA5AEB1@xxxxxxx>, Andy
Powell wrote:
> Curious as to why you'd go for an over priced tranquil pc rather than
> a lower priced, lower wattage one?

The Tranquil BBS web site says, "Power consumption 29W (base unit,
with
1x HDD)"  Of course, my 4x1TB disks will add to that.

> Granted they look pretty, but even
> with their Droboesque box, for that price, I'd buy a Drobo.

Can a Drobo run Ubuntu Linux?

> might I suggest something based on a VIA iDot
> (PC3500G or PC2500E) they are dirt cheap, granted they are micro ATX
> rather than mini but it's a server not a fashion statement.

Micro ATX is fine as long as I can get five disks in the case with four
of them hot swap. This machine will be in a basement so size and noise is
a non issue.

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire