Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: unRaid - Media storage server solution

Re: New Build

  • Subject: Re: New Build
  • From: "yetanotherdonsfan" <nhbroad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:10:26 -0000

This is BRILLIANT advise and I can completely agree with everything
said.

Beware most new products are in Beta and don't work or worse behave
erratically ....

Depending on the depth/breadth of requirements you might budget 10-15
man-days to become 'reasonably' familiar with CBus from scratch? (I hope
the CBus courses are better now than the two I went on.)

Don't make any assumptions about anything. What you expect to be logical /
common sense won't be in a lot of cases.

As touched on that first job may well lose you money. By the 4th or 5th you
will probably be starting to make some headway.

Do a business plan and show losses for a few months e.g  create a worst
case.

Although nobody would want to admit it, I'm sure there are an awful lot of
installers who only get by.

Nigel

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Nick Tyson - The Edge" <nick@...>
wrote:

> Hi James,
>

> After over 20 years in the business, a few tips from the chalk face.
(may be
> read to Baz Luhrmann's "Sunscreen"
>

> If you're expecting a steep and expensive learning curve you are not
likely
> to be disappointed.
>

> If it's a one off project, think very carefully about whether you want
to/
> can afford to do it.
>

> The first one (at least) will cost you a lot more money and take a lot
more
> time than you are probably expecting. If you're going to look for more
of
> this kind of work, put the component parts together and make it work
before
> you consider selling it to a client - this will be doing both you and
your
> client a big favour - using clients as guinea pigs will be frustrating
and
> embarrassing for you. And however nice the client may seem now, they
will
> not appreciate all the "bungling" that is likely to go on
because you're
> [...]
> from the reality).
>

> Don't expect products to work. If you're not 100% sure that something
you're
> suggesting will work, assume it won't (you will usually be correct)
>

> Don't expect new models to necessarily be better then previous ones -
> sometimes they're just cheaper.
>

> The more a product does the more things there are not to work properly
or to
> go wrong.
>

> Think very carefully about programming, how every page needs to be
laid out
> and link to other pages (and expect that even after you've thought it
> through there will still be issues to deal with)
>

> Don't assume that the client understands what the system will do and
how it
> will work - be as specific about the things you're not doing as you
are
> about the things you're doing.
>
> Ideally, let the client play with a demonstration system prior to
making a
> decision, sometimes it can be something as basic as how a remote
control
> works that puts them off (or turns them on). Sometimes it can be
something
> really simple that makes a client hate their system. He likes
touch-screen
> controls, she can only work a remote with buttons. You will have a
much
> easier life if you find this out before rather than after the project.
>

> Expect changes, and make sure you document and cost them properly. Do
not
> deal with changes for free, this will just give back any money you
might
> have been going to make. Document all changes, cost them realistically
> (including all associated costs - don't forget that plans may need to
be
> amended, etc), and get the client to agree. If you make it clear
upfront how
> you will deal with changes there should be no problems. If you don't
> document changes as you go along, assume you will not be getting paid
for
> them (again you will usually not be disappointed).
>

> Do not expect your client to pay you on time. Think carefully about
when you
> require payment, remember it is up to you to make the rules. If you
can
> afford to act as a bank for your client expect to get into the kind of
> trouble that most banks have recently found themselves in. It is
perfectly
> acceptable to expect a client to pay for stages, or equipment, in
advance.
> One of you will be exposed to a certain element of risk at some point,
from
> your point of view it is better if that is the client rather than you.
Most
> clients will understand this - when they go and order a fridge from
Comet,
> they expect to pay for it before they leave the store regardless of it
not
> being delivered for two weeks.
>

> The two things that will keep you awake at night are not being able to
make
> things work and lack of money. You have a reasonable amount of control
over
> both these things at this stage.
>

> Keep your drawings up to date, they will come in handy at some point
in the
> future.
>

> Under promise (but not too much) and over deliver - a happy client at
the
> end of the project is your best salesperson (and much cheaper than
> advertising).
>

> Enjoy the work, but remember it's not all glamour, it's the client
that gets
> the benefit of all the fun stuff not you.
>

> After 20 years in the business we're still learning on a daily basis.
Expect
> the same.
>

> Oh and don't forget the sunscreen.
>

> Good Luck,
>

> Nick
>

>   _____

com
> <mailto:james%40sj-computers.com>
>

> > Hi All,
> >
> > We are just starting to price an Automation System for a new 5
bed house.
> > have currently included 24 CAT5 outlets (2 per bed, 2 Living, 2
Kitchen, 4
> > TV/Study, 4 Study, 2 Dining). We will be installing 48 way switch
to leave
> > room for IP cameras etc. Are there any other ports that I should
consider?
> > More in the kitchen (System X)? Also, is a managed switch
overkill for a
> > home?
> >
> > On the Automation front it looks like we will be using Cbus,
Crestron or