Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: unRaid - Media storage server solution

RE: New Build

  • Subject: RE: New Build
  • From: "Nick Tyson - The Edge" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:04:03 +0100

Hi James,

After over 20 years in the business, a few tips from the chalk face. (may
be
read to Baz Luhrmann's "Sunscreen"

If you're expecting a steep and expensive learning curve you are not likely
to be disappointed.

If it's a one off project, think very carefully about whether you want to/
can afford to do it.

The first one (at least) will cost you a lot more money and take a lot more
time than you are probably expecting. If you're going to look for more of
this kind of work, put the component parts together and make it work before
you consider selling it to a client - this will be doing both you and your
client a big favour - using clients as guinea pigs will be frustrating and
embarrassing for you. And however nice the client may seem now, they will
not appreciate all the "bungling" that is likely to go on because
you're
learning on the job.

Don't assume your client appreciates you being in his house at 9.30pm
trying
to get things to work - you think you're doing him a favour, he just
doesn't
want you there.

Once you have a system that works, sell as many as you can without changing
it. Although our industry is sometimes referred to as custom installation,
avoid customising the system as much as you can - and if you have to make
sure you get paid properly for it, based on how long it actually takes (not
how long you think it might take).

Assume everything will take much longer than you expect.

Provide a user manual detailing exactly how the system works - if you've
learned as much as you need to about the products you will be using and how
they will integrate, you should be able to write this before you even start
the job.

There are many ways of doing things, some of which are better than others
and none of which are perfect.

There are products that work well alone but don't integrate too well and
then there are ones which integrate well but don't do the job they should
do
very well.

Make sure you understand EXACTLY what the client expects, then try and make
sure they understand exactly what you're going to deliver, and if the two
vary in any way make sure they understand how. Appreciate that the client
has a vision in their head of how the system will work and that this is
unlikely to coincide with your vision (and that both visions may be some
way
from the reality).

Don't expect products to work. If you're not 100% sure that something
you're
suggesting will work, assume it won't (you will usually be correct)

Don't expect new models to necessarily be better then previous ones -
sometimes they're just cheaper.

The more a product does the more things there are not to work properly or
go wrong.

Think very carefully about programming, how every page needs to be laid out
and link to other pages (and expect that even after you've thought it
through there will still be issues to deal with)

Don't assume that the client understands what the system will do and how it
will work - be as specific about the things you're not doing as you are
about the things you're doing.

Ideally, let the client play with a demonstration system prior to making a
decision, sometimes it can be something as basic as how a remote control
works that puts them off (or turns them on). Sometimes it can be something
really simple that makes a client hate their system. He likes touch-screen
controls, she can only work a remote with buttons. You will have a much
easier life if you find this out before rather than after the project.

Expect changes, and make sure you document and cost them properly. Do not
deal with changes for free, this will just give back any money you might
have been going to make. Document all changes, cost them realistically
(including all associated costs - don't forget that plans may need to be
amended, etc), and get the client to agree. If you make it clear upfront
how
you will deal with changes there should be no problems. If you don't
document changes as you go along, assume you will not be getting paid for
them (again you will usually not be disappointed).

Do not expect your client to pay you on time. Think carefully about when
you
require payment, remember it is up to you to make the rules. If you can
afford to act as a bank for your client expect to get into the kind of
trouble that most banks have recently found themselves in. It is perfectly
acceptable to expect a client to pay for stages, or equipment, in advance.
One of you will be exposed to a certain element of risk at some point, from
your point of view it is better if that is the client rather than you. Most
clients will understand this - when they go and order a fridge from Comet,
they expect to pay for it before they leave the store regardless of it not
being delivered for two weeks.

The two things that will keep you awake at night are not being able to make
things work and lack of money. You have a reasonable amount of control over
both these things at this stage.

Keep your drawings up to date, they will come in handy at some point in the
future.

Under promise (but not too much) and over deliver - a happy client at the
end of the project is your best salesperson (and much cheaper than
advertising).

Enjoy the work, but remember it's not all glamour, it's the client that
gets
the benefit of all the fun stuff not you.

After 20 years in the business we're still learning on a daily basis.
Expect
the same.

Oh and don't forget the sunscreen.

Good Luck,