Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: unRaid - Media storage server solution

Re: iPod Touch + iTunes against Slimp3 (and maybe Sonos esq devices)

  • Subject: Re: iPod Touch + iTunes against Slimp3 (and maybe Sonos esq devices)
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:57:46 -0000

Interesting idea.=20

To add to this... I have a Squeezebox 3 setup that streams audio to the
lou=
nge AVR and thence to the hi-fi speakers.  Works very nicely with the
Pront=
o remote.  But recently added Squidgy application to my iPhone (also
iTouch=
) and I've now got a 'i' style remote control that looks like the iPod
play=
er with album art etc and ability to sync Squeezeboxes etc.  Very nice and
=
probably similar price to the airport do-hicky if you just go for the Duet
=
receiver as someone noted on an earlier post.

Regards

Richard
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Wayne <Wayne@...> wrote:

> Hi All,
> Having recently got an iPod Touch for the missus and having the=20
> 'occasional' play around with it, I was wondering on the groups views
as=
=20
> to how much of an impact something like the iTouch with the Apple
iTunes=
=20
> remote would be against things like the Slimp3 type devices? (you
know,=20
> xBox extenders, Sonos ( I say Sonos systems as it appears to work
along=20
> similar lines but I havnt had/got one to play with so I cant
directly=20
> compare))
>=20
> I think the iPod and iPod Remote App may have been covered before -
but=20
> as a reminder, the remote app is an Apple developed remote
controller=20
> for iTunes. The idea being you enter a code into iTunes to tie
together=20
> your iPod and iTunes library, and as long as you have network=20
> connection, the iPod can get your computer to play whatever is stored
in=
=20
> its library. This opens up the full library play list to your iPod
and=20
> is playable - either by your defined playlists - or selectable by=20
> scrolling right off your full list. As a note, it is also not tied
down=20
> to what ever you may have 'synced' into the iTouch as this is
coming=20
> right off the computer. It seems fully searchable also appears to=20
> display any cover art that you have.
>=20
> That in itself you may thing a little limiting when you compare it=20
> against the others as you are controlling 'your computer' output
but,=20
> when you start adding things like an AirPort Express (=20
> http://tinyurl.com/airtunes ) that's
when things really start to get=20
> interesting. Not only is the Airport a full on Wifi Router and
print=20
> server (also has USB) it also has audio out as well - ether 3.5mm
stereo=
=20
> jack or optical digital. Once set up with iTunes (and the remote app)
it=
=20
> then appears as another destination to stream music to! So now you
have=20
> multi zone distributed music with a real snazzy remote controller.
>=20
> One little thing to be mindful here - I DONT have a Mac! - all this=20
> works is works on the PC as well!
>=20
> If there were anything that is missing from the app as it stands,
is=20
> having the iTouch actually 'be' a remote set of speakers that you
could=20
> stream to, as you are  then not tied to its memory constraints
(although=
=20
> you are to your wifi range).
>=20
> The cost of these - the latest off the apple store is =A379.00 for
the=20
> AirPort (take that per room) - I've seen them going on eBay for
about=20
> =A350. The iPod Touch =A3165 up to =A3283. We only have the 8gb one -
but=
that=20
> has a few hundred or so tracks on it and still has space for more.
>=20
> The way things seem to be going with Apple at the min - people like=20
> Microsoft (media editions) and Sony (they tried this at one point
with=20
> their media pc's) had better watch out... It would certainly seem
that=20
> the new kid on the block is setting up a neat store!
>=20
>=20
> Anyways - over to the floor.
>=20
>=20
> Wayne.
>=20
> (PS - I am no way connected to Apple - other than I'm really
beginning=20
> to be impressed with how easy their stuff is! (you have tried vista
right=
?))