Latest message you have seen: Re: New Build

iPod Touch + iTunes against Slimp3 (and maybe Sonos esq devices)

  • Subject: iPod Touch + iTunes against Slimp3 (and maybe Sonos esq devices)
  • From: Wayne <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:33:39 +0100

Hi All,
Having recently got an iPod Touch for the missus and having the
'occasional' play around with it, I was wondering on the groups views as
to how much of an impact something like the iTouch with the Apple iTunes
remote would be against things like the Slimp3 type devices? (you know,
xBox extenders, Sonos ( I say Sonos systems as it appears to work along
similar lines but I havnt had/got one to play with so I cant directly
compare))

I think the iPod and iPod Remote App may have been covered before - but
as a reminder, the remote app is an Apple developed remote controller
for iTunes. The idea being you enter a code into iTunes to tie together
your iPod and iTunes library, and as long as you have network
connection, the iPod can get your computer to play whatever is stored in
its library. This opens up the full library play list to your iPod and
is playable - either by your defined playlists - or selectable by
scrolling right off your full list. As a note, it is also not tied down
to what ever you may have 'synced' into the iTouch as this is coming
right off the computer. It seems fully searchable also appears to
display any cover art that you have.

That in itself you may thing a little limiting when you compare it
against the others as you are controlling 'your computer' output but,
when you start adding things like an AirPort Express (
http://tinyurl.com/airtunes ) that's
when things really start to get
interesting. Not only is the Airport a full on Wifi Router and print
server (also has USB) it also has audio out as well - ether 3.5mm stereo
jack or optical digital. Once set up with iTunes (and the remote app) it
then appears as another destination to stream music to! So now you have
multi zone distributed music with a real snazzy remote controller.

One little thing to be mindful here - I DONT have a Mac! - all this
works is works on the PC as well!

If there were anything that is missing from the app as it stands, is
having the iTouch actually 'be' a remote set of speakers that you could
stream to, as you are  then not tied to its memory constraints (although
you are to your wifi range).

The cost of these - the latest off the apple store is £79.00 for the
AirPort (take that per room) - I've seen them going on eBay for about
£50. The iPod Touch £165 up to £283. We only have the 8gb
one - but that
has a few hundred or so tracks on it and still has space for more.

The way things seem to be going with Apple at the min - people like
Microsoft (media editions) and Sony (they tried this at one point with
their media pc's) had better watch out... It would certainly seem that
the new kid on the block is setting up a neat store!

Anyways - over to the floor.

Wayne.

(PS - I am no way connected to Apple - other than I'm really beginning
to be impressed with how easy their stuff is! (you have tried vista
right?))