RE: Mac Mini power performance

I Think the problem with the Atom based mobos you can buy at the
moment,
is that although the Atom chip itself is nice & conservative, - IIRC
one
model goes right down to 2W, & the common 260/270 are around 4W/8W I
believe, - but they are typically paired with a crappy old 945/ICH7
chipset combination, which as you know are fairly aged desktop chips,
not in the least optimised for low power use, and typically run to about
40W alone give or take a bit... Thus most Atom board around just now
can't possibly do any better than about 50W idle...

When they get built around a design with a purpose-designed low-power
chipset, then it should be possible to get Atom-based PC platforms that
consume a comparable amount to the new minis...

Paul G.