Re: Electronics question

 I guess that depends on which version of the RS232 spec document
you're
reading - and I don't have a copy of the original 1962 EIA-232 one to
double check so I could be misinformed but  I have always believed +/-
5V was the minimum requirement for an output and the inputs had a
threshold spec of +/- 3V as per the Dallas Semiconductor document, or
the Maxim one, here... This allowed for an a rather generous 2V noise
margin.

http://www.lammertbies.nl/download/dallas-appl-83.pdf

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/83/

.   RS232 was ratified before TTL and since then there have been loads
of unofficial interpretations/relaxations of the specification to allow
laptops and other low power devices to be more tolerant of the lower
voltages used in  TTL or even CMOS at 5V or 3.3V even - so indeed that
3.5V will likely work with most modern serial ports / devices and some
older kit too -  but it is still outside of the official RS232
specification I believe...

Regardless it's a rather mute issue as it's certainly not going to
work with a 5V regulator ;-)