RE: Re: New Popcorn Hour (C-200) being released.

Before we all get carried away and do the usual UKHA_D thing of
getting
terribly excited and then when it's released slating it for being shit be
aware that it doesn't actually say anything about being able to stream
BluRay from a network nor does it specifically state any kind of BD+
functionality (although we can probably assume it from the requirement for
local storage).

The A110/A100 don't have any sort of CSS decryption built in them, (there's
a very good reason for this - that requires licensing and getting licensing
on any product that is intended to allow playback from anything other than
the original source media is a nightmare,) they have no region coding and
there's the same issues for Blu-Ray too.

You may well find that this will only play DVD / Blu-Ray rips that have had
the protection stripped and even then the Blu-Ray support may not include
full rendering of menus etc.

Having said that it's video decoding will always be a shitload better than
Plex's. ;-)

By the way, it seems that SlySoft (of AnyDVD / AnyDVD HD / CloneDVD fame)
are writing a "player" application for PC hardware ... there's
quite a bit
of discussion on the Slysoft forums but they generally seem to know what
they're doing so it'll be good to see what they come up with. They
certainly
understand the need to be able to change video modes on the fly to match
source formats rather than forcing frame rate conversion.

Phil