[OT] : Insanity a bit closer to home...

  • Subject: [OT] : Insanity a bit closer to home...
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:41:04 +0100

[Sorry...just spotted this in the Spam folder of Yahoo Group.M.]

Maybe some of you out there go out for a jog of a morning to keep fit?
Maybe
some of you actually do "run".

Well, a very good friend of mine - Sandra Bowers - is, at this moment, in
Belgium preparing to compete in the 100km World Championships where she's
representing Great Britain for the very first time. Yup - that's running
100km (62 miles) in one hit!

She's wanting to try to manage 8 hours 20 minutes but at that kind of
distance it's not just a case of physically being fit enough to make it to
the end it it's a case of being mentally up to it too . the race starts at
7pm this evening and finishes in the early hours of the morning (so that
they're not running in too much heat). Being a lardy old git who struggles
at the prospect of a 2.5km CaniCross then I just find the whole concept of
running 100km in one hit quite incredible and I'm unbelievably proud of
what
she's achieved this year - she got her Scottish National Champion title
back
after quite a bad year last year *AND* turned in a personal best for 100km
over in Ireland a couple of months ago which got her the invite to run for
Great Britain - so I'm as excited about it all as an excited thing from
Excitedville!

If anyone is interested then this website will have live updates of the
race
<http://www.iau.org.tw/> http://www.iau.org.tw/
under "Live Updates" ->
"Live Updates --- Torhout IAU 100km World Cup".

I'll be at home this evening with her huskies (I'm husky-sitting for her
while she's away) keeping a close eye on progress .

Phil