Re: Camera advice

  • Subject: Re: Camera advice
  • From: "Lee" <muddyboots@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 07:59:39 -0000

Hi Ian

When we started our selfbuild, I wanted a camera to cover a certain section
of our site, but only had power to the camera location.

The setup I have is this:

- analogue colour CCTV camera with IR LEDs for night use, which connects
via BNC to:
- IP Video server (http://www.digidave.co.uk/jshop/product.php?xProd=209&xSec=21
), which connects via ethernet cable to:
- Homeplug network-over-mains adaptor (http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11300)
which communicates over mains to:
- another Homeplug network-over-mains adaptor (http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11300)
back in the house which connects into my router.

The camera image is available via a URL from any machine/browser hooked
into my network.
I also have a Linux box (running an oldish Fedora) that runs an application
called "motion" (http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome).
I have this configured to take snapshots every 15 minutes, and also take
images whenever there is motion in an area I define, it works very well. I
then have a script that runs periodically to upload the images (ftp) to my
web space, so I can look at the images wherever I am, and in case the
machine ever got nicked :)

The video server, homeplug device and CCTV PSU all plug into a 4-gang
extension inside a Weathersafe box (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMWP401.html).

Maybe some of these ideas may be of use !

The video server can take up to 4 inputs so you could have more than one
camera if you needed.

Cheers
Lee

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Ian Oliver <lists@...> wrote:

> Lots of people who live nearby have lost York stone from their drives
> and walls. Replacing it costs many hundreds or even thousands of
pounds
> as the stone is expensive and hard to find (unless you steal it from
> someone else!)
>
> We'd like to stick a camera by our front gatepost to cover our York
> stone on the drive "apron" and also get piccies of passing
vehicles. I
> have power to the location but not network.
>
> Options -
> 1) Wireless analog camera. Tend to be a bit sucky IME but maybe I just
> need a good one. Will then need a video server inside to do
CCTV->IP as