Re: Standalone CCTV DVRs

I have the Belkin USB network hub and it has worked reliably for me
from January. It's got

USB-UIRT
RFX-Com 310MHz/434 MHz receiver
No name usb sound card (for Homeseer announcements)
Horrible Z-wave interface

connected.

I also use a Keyspan network-USB hub which only lets you connect a small
subset of USB devices (seems to be printers and keyboards) and it falls
over tediously frequently. By comparison the Belkin is great.

The Homeseer netbook (12w power consumption) has an Easysync 8 port
USB-serial converter connected directly, but I would expect it to work over
the Belkin as well. It does retain its settings over a reboot.

Bill

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Martyn Wendon" <martynwendon@...>
wrote:

> I've had similar requirements with RS232 ports that you do and have
gone for
> a Belkin 5-port USB Network hub (55 notes from Amazon) coupled with a
> Quatech 8-port USB->Serial port adapter (15 notes off eBay, they
come up
> from time to time).
>
> The Belkin presents USB connected equipment over ethernet to their
driver
> software on the PC (or in my case the VM) and then you can use the
hardware
> as if it were locally attached.
>
> I've only had this setup for a week or so and initial impressions are
good -
> hooked up to the 8-port serial port adapter (via 1 port on the Belkin)
are: