Re: Re: Apple at it again..

On 18 Jul 2009, at 19:44, Phil Harris wrote:

>> While I understand the frustration, you can't expect new
generations
>> of products
>> to always work with old add-ons. Apple can't certify hardware for
use
>> with the
>> iPhone or Ipod Touch if they don't exist at the time. Apple have
>> provided 'Works with'
>> labeling for both the iPhone and Ipod Touch.  Of course you can't
buy
>> 'Works with'
>> add ons if the thing they 'Works with' doesn't exist.
>
> Nah - sorry - don't agree.
>
> When this is affecting such basic things as FM transmitters,
> speakers with
> docks, hell, even bloody chargers it's pretty pathetic!
>
> Phil

For a start, just because the connector on the bottom is the same
doesn't mean the internal connections are the same.

I have an IMIV in my Volvo which allows me to use the integrated head
unit to control an ipod (classic). Before I flogged my iPhone I used
to connect that (although not so much since the ipod is a 160gb one)
and the only thing it ever did was say that the device I'd plugged it
into wasn't compatible so did I want to turn off the phone functions'.
Slightly annoying yes but not the end of the world since all I had to
do was tap 'No' and it worked as expected.

A lot of equipment stopped charging the newer releases of the iphone/
ipod touches because the firewire pins many used were never connected
in the first place (from the factory). I presume that for Apple's new
versions of their devices they didn't just use the same circuit board
layout so dropping the firewire charging may have enabled better
routing for other tracks leading to other improvements. The reason
your devices wont charge is because the people that made them decided
to save 0.001c per unit and use firewire charging for non firewire
connections. In fact I'm not even sure you could get yourself the
firewire cable anyway, so Apple may have just said 'WTF are these pins
connected for' and in the next rev. removed them. Particularly
interesting since the had (until recently) removed firewire from
macbooks - seems like something they'd planned to eliminate.

---

Andy Powell / ScaredyCat / FuzzyCat

Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScaredyCat
Blog: http://blog.automated.it