Re: Apple at it again..

  • Subject: Re: Apple at it again..
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:17:46 -0000

But I'm not allowed to do the reverse either. I can't use an iPod
Touch wit=
h 3.0 firmware with any other software to manage my library than iTunes.
Ap=
ple change the hash on the iPod Touch database with every update and don't
=
make it open either.

So basically you do it Apple's way or not at all.

For now I'll wait and use the excellent Media Monkey software and leave my
=
iPod Touch at FW 2.0. I could jail break it but I don't want to go that
far=
. At least not at the moment.

Apple just give Microsoft and others chance to catch up and alienate the
cu=
stomers. I wonder what the Zune HD will be like? Zune 2 was so much better
=
than Zune 1 can they make the same jump with Zune HD?

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Jewelie <jewelie@...> wrote:

> Look at this way.
>=20
> A company has spent time and money developing something, sells the
> hardware and lets you download the software for free, even though it
> has taken them time and money to develop.
>=20
> Some other compnay comes along, sells some competing hardware, but in
> effect steals the software.
>=20
> Don't forget that the majority of computers sold are Windows based,
> thus iTunes on that only makes Apple any money if you a) buy an iPod
> (or iPhone) or b) buy music with it, assuming that even makes them any
> money anyway.
>=20
> Julie
>=20
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 14:35, Ian Lowe<ianlowe@...> wrote:
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8155795.stm
> >
> > Apple have modified itunes so that Palm pre phones can't sync
media.

> > I purposely didn't comment on Phil's recent ipod touch issue,
because m=
y opinions on Apple the company have been aired enough.. but this is just
i=
nfuriating.

> > I would *love* to buy an ipod touch. I think it's the most
elegant sexy=
control device you could possibly want for a home environment... I quite s=
eriously looked at buying the airport express as a media streaming
solution=
... I think the Air is quite possibly the most beautiful laptop ever built
=
(although, I would run vista on it, not macos)

> > But how can you buy stuff from a company who abuses it's position
like =
this?

> > If this was Microsoft trying to kill a competing product by
deliberatel=
y breaking and obfuscating APIs, they would have the EU and DOJ all over
th=
em for anti-trust, but apple's market dominance in MP3 players is far
large=
r than Microsoft's OS monopoly...

> > Perhaps it's about time for the regulators to get involved. it
would be=
good to see Apple get slapped up and down the place a bit by the EU commis=
sion until they start playing nice with others.

> > It's just really annoying, because you have a company with a real
flair=
for producing beautiful design and well tested and thought out products...=
who have an utterly evil and draconian way of doing =A0business. :(