RE: Apple at it again..

*chuckle* I plugged my iPod Touch into my car today - Up popped a
message o=
the iPods screen saying that "Charging is not supported from this
accessory=
"
- of course it wouldn't play through it either!

Now, my 3rd party car kit was sourced from the US and cost me the best part
of =A3250 as I made sure I bought one that was "officially"
sanctioned by
Apple and bore the "Made for iPod" logo so that I could be sure
of full
compatibility with my iPod classic - and yes, that unit does allow me to
browse through my classic using my head unit controls but for the iPod
Touc=
(and iPhone which I was thinking of but now aren't) I have to revert my
iPo=
kit into its "fallback" mode which is supposed to be used for
portable DVD
players for when you have kids in the back where it just takes an analogue
audio feed from a 3.5mm stereo jack.

I know I get told that I'm just Apple bashing but as Ian says, the iPod
touch and iPhone are lovely little devices - especially for controlling
third party products - there's an app available from the iTunes store which
allows the control of a NaimNet / StreamNet multiroom system and when Apple
brought out OS3.0 that broke it! The guy that wrote the app had bought the
development environment from Apple legitimately and is registered with them
as a developer yet still had no prior notification about what changes were
coming up - it was just fortunate that the app went live on the iTunes
stor=
after OS3.0 was released and he was able to fix the breaks beforehand!

Here's proof that it's not just me being a whining old bastard either...

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/8002/ipod-touch-peripheral.htm

Is this really any way for a company to conduct their product development?
As Ian says, if MicroSnot did this they'd get blown out of the water by the
courts... :-(

Phil