Re: HDD Choices

Thanks Jim.

I wasn't expectecting to have to do it either - it just threw me that
it couldn't be recognised in the usb caddy. Perhaps its because it was
seen as a removable drive?

I will have another go tonight with your suggestion.

Thanks,

Tim.

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Jim
Noble<yahoo-groups@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tim Hawes wrote:
>> However, I have a problem - what=92s the best way to format these?
>> I was planning to plug it into the USB-SATA bridge that I have
(like
>> this one: http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-Products/SATA-Hard-Drive-US=
B-Docking-Station.html)
>> and do it there, but while the drive will power-up it is not (yet)
>> recognised in XP.
>> Next I downloaded Samsung=92s EStools drive software and while it
will
>> let me do a low level format, reports on the web seem to indicate
that
>> this will take a day and a half! I have two drives to do so taking
my
>> main machine out for that long isn=92t the most convenient
thing=85

> Er, perhaps I'm missing something, but you shouldn't ever need to
> low-level format a new drive (I didn't think it was even possible with
> IDE & SATA drives...?). It should show up as an
"Unknown" disk in the