new low power server

  • Subject: new low power server
  • From: Robin Edwards <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 20:28:14 +0100

I've been using a Shuttle with an Athlon XP3000 as workstation, print
server,
music server, misterhouse server and for data collection from my Weather
Station
until now on Suse 11.1.  Recently put a power meter on it and it is using
80Watts (7x24).

So, decided to look into driving down my power usage and this is on target
list.
I'm interested in any other experiences and happy to publish mine. I was
very
interested in Ian's experience with Tranquil BBS2.  I've also had a look at
Bubba2 and found interesting, Drobo and been reading the MiniITX website
but
cant decide what is best.

Challenges I see are:
1: Would prefer to stick with Linux
2: Currently using 3 Serial ports (CM12, WG800RF. WMR9
3 BBS2 looks interesting but would not want to start fully populated with
disks,
could not see if thats possible to just use two or three disks and add more
at a
later date.

I have a target of reducing my power usage by 50% whilst running my server
7x24
still.

Any comments very welcome.

regards, robin