Re: 1TB "Green" Drives

  • Subject: Re: 1TB "Green" Drives
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:13:56 -0000

This is where being Green or even Energy Conscious becomes difficult
and complex. You can take it further, by adding into the
manufacturing cost the environmental cost of the workers. How do they
get the factory, how do they live and use energy?

But then the counter argument is if they were working then what is
the associated cost to the environment?

It is interesting and adds to the overall discussion. For example in
this case illustrated with a new computer, what happens if the old
had died and was going to be replaced anyway? If the replacement were
like for like with the old then it would have continued to use 200W
plus the cost of the new materials.

I've mentioned it before but the Green Building Forums really are a
great place to dip into this subject. For example they normal advise
most people to improve insulation and air tightness before changing
things like boilers, etc. That is because of the manufacturing cost
of a new device and waste of a boiler that is already working, even
if it is not as efficient as a new one.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark McCall" <lists@...> wrote:

> > Whoever pointed out the book "Sustainable energy without the
hot
air"

> Great isn't it.
>
> > His estimated energy cost of a making new computer is 1800kWh.
>
> The "creation" cost used to be talked about a lot, but you
hardly
hear it