Re: IR receivers - plasma filters?

  • Subject: Re: IR receivers - plasma filters?
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:14:03 -0000

This may sound a bit bizarre but I picked this up and it worked for
me.

Cover the IR receiver with a bit of tape (I used the brown packing
tape used for packing parcels) - this in itself did not stop IR or the
interference.  Then colour over the tape with a black permanent marker
pen.

I found that this did enough to cut out the interference (shown by the
flickering receive LED) without attenuating the signal from my Pronto
control in any material way that affects usability.

Definitely worth a try as its dirt cheap so nothing to loose!

I wouldn't be surprised if the "optical filtering" is something
similar!

Richard

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Paul Gale <groups2@...> wrote:

> I've finally got round to re-implementing my house-wide IR receiver
network (using my Russound CAV6.6 amps with built in IR network).
Trouble is, the plasma and one of the bedroom LCD TV's create havoc
with the IR, pumping out so much interference that the IR network is
unusable :(

> I know manufacturers like Russound and Xantech etc produce plasma
friendly IR receivers but they sell for quite a premium.

> Looking at the Russound products, they state that they use
"optical
filtering" to reject the interference.

> Anyone know how this can be achieved via the DIY route? Is it just a
filter window or a particular type of IR receiver LED or both?

> Ideally, I'd like to incorporate this into my existing Russound wall
keypads, replacing the standard receiver - that way I don't have a
bulky second box next to it or elsewhere in the room.

signature database 3761 (20090113) __________