Re: Do good energy-saving bulbs exist?

What make are the bulbs?
Let me know how you get on with the 100 watt bulbs.
I've got to order some 100 watts as I use them as loads to test the=20
UPSs I refurbish and sell.
Andy the UPS Man

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Mal Lansell <mal@...> wrote:

> Well it's problem solved as far as I'm concerned - I just ordered=20
130=20
> traditional bulbs of various types from tlc-direct.co.uk (total=20
cost=20
> around =A350 - or the same as ~20 CFLs?), which should be enough to=20
last=20
> me at least 20 years at the current rate of consumption.  That's=20
plenty=20
> of time for the alternatives to sort themselves out.
>=20
> Mal
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Laurence Mason wrote:
> > We are in the process of migrating from "proper" bulbs
to CFls.=20
We are=20
> > switching to the Megaman candle bulbs which claim to be the
same=20
as a=20
> > 40/45W tungsten - and they probably are. The colour is not the=20
same but=20
> > I guess we will get used to it. Mostly we don't have any
dimmers=20
and the=20
> > one room where we do they are used only as soft start so I
will=20
replace=20
> > them with standard on/off.
> >
> > The advantage the megaman ones have over the cheap Tesco ones
is=20
that=20
> > they are virtually the same size as the tungsten (so they look=20
all right=20
> > in fittings) and they also last 15,000 hours rather than
8,000.=20
I=20
> > thought I read somewhere that it was the switching on and off=20
that wore=20
> > them out so the statement about assuming so many hours per day=20
use might=20
> > be a way of relating to switching on and off rather than pure
on=20
time.=20
> > Yes they do take time to come to full brightness.
> >
> > Of course now we are saving all the electric running the bulbs=20
we have=20
> > to burn more oil to keep ourselves warm instead and in the=20
summer it=20
> > tends to be lighter in the evenings so we don't need the
lights=20
on anyway!

> > NZ has recently changed it's mind over the transition:
> >
> > http://national.org.nz/Article.aspx?ArticleID=3D29097
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Laurence
> >
> > Neil Ball wrote:
> >=20=20=20
> >> Was the dimmable CFL from Varilight? This works well
enough=20
with my Helvar
> >> Digidim system (which has all of the dimmers set to
trailing=20
edge dimming)
> >> although it is not smooth as it dims - it kind of steps in=20
stages as it dims
> >> down and up. It is completely useless in a fitting that has
a=20
leading edge
> >> dimmer, it goes out completely while still quite bright and
is=20
not really
> >> controllable. I've still to source a Megaman CFL which
promises=20
a stepless
> >> dimming range of 10-100% although again I don't know if it
will=20
be dependent
> >> on the type of dimming technology used. I did notice that
both=20
companies
> >> recommend switching them on full for at least a minute
before=20
dimming for
> >> best results, not really what you want with a
scene-setting=20
lighting control