RE: Do good energy-saving bulbs exist?

Was the dimmable CFL from Varilight? This works well enough with my
Helvar
Digidim system (which has all of the dimmers set to trailing edge dimming)
although it is not smooth as it dims - it kind of steps in stages as it
dim=
down and up. It is completely useless in a fitting that has a leading edge
dimmer, it goes out completely while still quite bright and is not really
controllable. I=92ve still to source a Megaman CFL which promises a
steples=
dimming range of 10-100% although again I don=92t know if it will be
depend=
ent
on the type of dimming technology used. I did notice that both companies
recommend switching them on full for at least a minute before dimming for
best results, not really what you want with a scene-setting lighting
contro=
system.

=20

If you=92ve got low voltage halogens then you could always go for the
=93lo=
energy=94 xenon filled versions from Philips and Osram, these are fully
dimmable as you would expect but use 40% less energy than the standard lam,
last at least twice as long (generally much longer with lighting controls
that limit maximum output and use soft-start/stop) and have the same beam
patterns and quality of light of the original lamp. The only drawback if
that if you have fire-rated downlights that require aluminium coated lamps
to prevent heat build up in the fitting then you cannot use these yet
although it should not be long until suitable lamps reach the market.

=20

Neil B.

=20

=20