Re: Do good energy-saving bulbs exist?

I can only echo what Peter has said in that the technology just is not
ther=
yet. Its very frustrating as we all want to use efficient bulbs but what is
out there - CFLs poor light quality, slow to start poor dimmibility and low
output plus expensive. Then there's LED's - the future but again poor
outpu=
very expensive and mostly not dimmable at all.
I have tried LED's type Cree and Luxeon, but they are very expensive and
no=
practical in a whole house.
To be honest when they come out with dimmable, high output good quality
light LED's at a good price that can fit in existing MR16 or GU10 fittings
someone will make a killing.

2009/1/11 Peter and Jane <pandj.munnoch@xxxxxxx>

>   Hi Mal
> You ain't seen nothin' until you try a B+Q dimmable cfl.
> I have installed a Lutron scene setting lighting system in our new
build.
> Dining area light is an incandescent bulb. I dutifully replaced it
with t=
he
> B+Q offering (=A310 for 1 bulb!). As the Lutron ramped up the bulb
lurche=
> into a sort of knackered fluorescent mode with standing wave patterns
in =
the
> tube, and as further light was demanded, it flashed through a sickly
seri=
es
> of pale shimmering states until it arrived at a ghostly white pale
glow t=
hat
> took minutes to build.
> How am I saving the planet with this expensive mercury containing heap
of
> junk? This house is as environmentally conscious as I could afford
(heat
> pump, heat recovery ventilation, rainwater harvesting, high level of
> recycled newsprint insulation etc etc.) but these low energy lamps are
> ridiculous. I have lots of cfls and lots of leds (in both cases
because y=
ou
> need several to replace the light output of one proper lamp). It is
reall=
> not right to discontinue the old technology before the replacement
> technology is ready.
> I too would appreciate any leads to decent, cost effective low energy
> lamps, including dimmable leds and instant cfls that don't cost more
to b=
uy