[OT] (ish) Help looking for mobo recommendation

  • Subject: [OT] (ish) Help looking for mobo recommendation
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:19:22 -0000

Vaguely on-topic, as I'm trying to rebuild my Media server...
=20
I've spent almost the whole of today scouring the usual vendors websites
lo=
oking for a suitable replacement mobo...
=20
I have some specific requirements, and I've found it's *really* difficult
t=
o search sites for suitable products based on certain features... :-(
=20
I need a board that *must* fit  the following:
=20
1 x PCI-e X16 slot for graphics card
1 x PCI-e x4 or greater (i.e. another x16 slot, or an x8 slot or an x4
slot=
) for a PCI-e x4 storage controller - slot must be wired with at least x4
l=
anes to support max performance form the card.
At least 2 onboard SATA/300 ports that support RAID 1
Gigabit LAN - only need 1, don't really care if it has 2
S/PDIF output onboard, ideally optical, but coax would do at a push. I
woul=
d accept one that used a header & a backplate bracket ONLY if the
bracket i=
s included in the box
Socket 775 that supports Core-2 CPU
=20
Failure to adhere to any one of those requirements instantly eliminates it
=
from consideration...
=20
I'd prefer to keep the cost (inc VAT) below =A3100 to maintain maximum
SWMB=
O acceptance...
=20
Number of USB ports isn't crucial. Firewire isn't crucial. HDMI would be
ni=
ce, but again isn't crucial. Fanless chipset cooler would also be nice.
=20
I'm still searching, but do any of you folks have any good suggestions?
=20
My shortlist thus far has:
=20
Foxconn P45A iP45