iPod Touch syncing question

Hello.

Is there a way to bypass the initial connecting of an iPod Touch to
iTunes?

I'm at work at the moment, haven't got iTunes on my PC (didn't want to
really install it at work) and I just wanted to look at the Touch.

Also, If I do install it at work will it cause issues
connecting/syncing it at work and at home? All I really want to do is
connect it at work so I can have a look at it and then sync it at home
properly.

Thanks in advance,
Dave C