Re: CBUS Control Bus wiring topology

Thanks Ben (and others).

I'm still undecided!!

I can see that the easiest and certainly the cheapest method is to daisy
chain but as I come from a service and maintenance background, I'm
always thinking about future fault finding when I'm planning an install.

I guess as long as I document cable runs etc, any faults should be
fairly easy to locate.

If I home run all the points, presumably, I'd patch to another patch
panel where the patch panel punch downs are commoned together and I
would take a single patch cable to the CBUS panel? I guess I could use a
Krone block to do the same thing, although it would all be a bit of a
mess in the box!!

Before everyone asks, yes, I'll take pictures!!

Cheers

Neil

ben addison wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> I have always run my c-bus network in the form of a ring, as ben has
> stated.
>
> I only ever connect one end of the ring so that I don't form a loop.
> This is
> the easiest, quickest and best way to wire the network.
>
> You only have 2 cables at any one point to connect. If you do get a
> break in
> anyone of the cables you can feed the ring from both ends.
>
> I do star off now and then if a client decides to add an extra point.
>
> I have 2nd fixed systems for clients where they have star wired all
there
> points. To connect them all together I have just used there patch
panel.

> If you would like any help just let me know or send me some plans to
look
> over?
>
> HTH
>
> Thanks
>
> Ben Addison
>
> www.clipsalcbus.co.uk <http://www.clipsalcbus.co.uk/
> <http://www.clipsalcbus.co.uk/>>
>
> 07889845712
>
> _____
>
> From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>]
On
> Behalf Of
> Ben McCormack
> Sent: 02 January 2009 14:00
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] CBUS Control Bus wiring topology
>
> Neil
>
> Ben Addison installed mine and went for the daisy chain approach. I
> also read all of the documentation and cannot see any mention of home-
> running then all. I am sure it would work but would be a nightmare to
> terminate. Not sure of any benefits apart from troubleshooting?
>
> You could also do a couple of trunk runs from the node zero to
> specific locations in the house and then fan out from there?
>
> Ben
>
> On 2 Jan 2009, at 13:43, Neil Fuller wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> >
> > I'm just planning the install of my new CBUS kit and can't decide
on
> > the
> > best topology for the control bus wiring.
> >
> > Whilst it's free topology (avoiding loops), is it better to
home-run
> > all
> > the points (switches, PIRs etc) or to daisy chain them?
> >
> > Instinct tells me to home-run them as it will be much easier to
fault
> > find but I'm not sure about how to connect them all up at the
panel.

> > Clipsal do supply a patch panel of sorts but they seem to be
aimed at
> > the commercial market and as rare as hens teeth!
> >
> > Would bunching the cables together in a Klippon or even Chock
Block